Student Work Premit Requests
Work Permits: Procedures and Policies
San Benito High School will issue California Work Permits as describes by the California Department of Education (CDE) and at the discretion and approval of the Superintendents Designated Administrator(s). Student work permits are required by all businesses employing minors between the ages of 13-17 years. It is solely within the discretion of the school district to determine whether a minor, who is still subject to the state’s compulsory education laws, may obtain a work permit and, therefore, be employed to work. Please visit the CDE website for frequently asked questions and multilingual documents. https://www.cde.ca.gov/ci/ct/
Process to obtain a WORK PERMIT:
- The minor/student, after obtaining a promise of employment, shall obtain the “Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for a Work Permit – Certificate of Age” (CDE Form B1-1) from the school or the employer.
- The minor must complete the “minor” section, request that the employer and parent complete their sections (making certain to obtain all three required signatures), and then return the completed form to the appropriate school authority, Student Services Admin.
- The school’s authorized work permit issuer shall verify all information on the work permit to be issued. If all requirements are met, the authorized work permit issuer may issue the work permit (CDE Form B1-4).
- The local school district or school has discretion to impose additional requirements for the issuance of a work permit. For instance, the school district may have a policy requiring the minor to maintain a 2.0 grade point average (GPA). In such a case, the work permit issuer would need to verify the student’s GPA.
STEP 1: Ca Intent to Employ Form Quick Link
- Student will use the student’s school email address, and must have the parent and employer email addresses to complete this form in DocuSign.
- Please click the link to open the form, the student should fill it out with the student’s full name, parents’ full name and email address, and employer’s name and email address. Student will then hit sign now.
- Once each person fills in their sections, and submits the form by clicking on the Begin Signing option, the form is electronically sent to the admin office for processing.
- Work permits are subject to review of every student’s current and past attendance, grades, discipline records, and book fines.
- The Admin Review Team will review these items and then issue the work permit. The permit then comes to the student email via DocuSign. The student does not have a permit until the DocuSign permit has been signed.
- Once the DocuSign permit has been signed by the student, a copy of the completed permit will be delivered to the parent and the employer via email from DocuSign.